While you are planning your perfect vacation in Croatia, choosing the ideal location, booking the amazing accommodation (what say about #villahirundorustica), you will surely explore the rich Croatian gastronomy.
One of the classics of Dalmatian cuisine is definitely the cuttlefish risotto.
Because of its amazing black color, cuttlefish risotto is also known as Black risotto. Cuttlefish contains silver sac of ink which is a significant addition to this specialty because it gives it a distinctive black color.
There are almost no restaurants along the entire Adriatic coast that do not serve black risotto. It is indispensable on menus like olive oil in Dalmatian cuisine and there is no half-love for this specialty – you either adore it or you can’t even look at it on the table.
Fortunately, the preparation couldn’t be simpler with a few little tricks.
Prepare ingredients: cuttlefish, olive oil, cuttlefish ink, onion, garlic, parsley, red wine, fish stock, arborio rice.
1. Carefully clean the cuttlefish and try to preserve the cuttlefish ink. If it mysteriously disappear, like happened to me countless times, you can always buy ink at the market from your fisherman. The job is dirty, not at all photogenic, but luckily you have a lot of youtube videos with instructions.
2. In a hevy-bottomed pot sauté onions, garlic and parsley in enough olive oil for about 10 minutes.
3. Add the cleaned and washed cuttlefish cut into small pieces and simmer on low heat until the liquid disappears. Season to taste – salt, pepper, vegeta, laurel.
4. When the cuttlefish begins to stick to the pan, add red wine to cover the fish and cook until the cuttlefish becomes soft and the liquid evaporates.
5. Then add the arborio rice, stir and add the warmed fish stock and cuttlefish ink.
5. Stir constantly over low heat until the rice is done. Season as needed. Rice must be al dente.
6. Some people like to sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese when serving, but in my opinion it is unnecessary and distracts from the divine taste.
For more photos and inspiration for Croatian local cuisine and simple recipes, feel free to visit our IG account @hirundo_rustica. Tag all your culinary activities according to our recipe with #villahirundorustica and #greetingsfromhr